Tuesday 6 January 2015

It's Not Your Party

Recently I attended a party at a friend's house.  We look forward to them.  He is well connected, a great host who entertains with flair - a real old-fashioned, over-the-top UberHost.  You never know who will be there - the infamous as well as the famous.

On this particular evening a guest of some notoriety and influence was invited.  As I told UberHost, I was surprised to see him, but not surprised to see him there.

Famous Guest is known to have an opinion, but he does good work and is one of the most knowledgeable, kind and gentle men I know.  His connections reach to the very top, but in the several times we've met he never lets on, except for the occasional reference to a phone call or a visit he had with so-and-so.  I always get a bit of a chuckle when I see him on the news or in the paper.

He was accosted by another guest who has a beef with something he said about something.  I truly don't know the details, and Famous Guest handled himself beautifully in the face of her withering attack, as she cornered him and monopolized his time.  UberHost seemed amused.  I was not.

Seems to me there's a time and place to voice an opinion, disagree with an voiced opinion, or challenge a public stance.  Someone else's party isn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment